CYBER‐PHYSICAL FABRICATION PLATFORM FOR WOOD BUILDING SYSTEM UTILIZING HUMAN-MACHINE COLLABORATIONS INCLUDING IMMERSIVE ANALYTICS FOR AUGMENTED REALITY
This research project aims to develop a semi-autonomous, off- and on-site, cyber-physical fabrication platform for a genuinely digital wood building system. It will address prevailing obstacles in timber construction such as low levels of automation (LoA) and transportation limitations by utilizing the concept of a modular, transportable, and extendable fabrication platform supported by Human-Robot Collaboration (HRC) and custom Human-Machine Interfaces (HMIs).
Requirements for this fabrication platform will be determined through continuous feedback from the building system development. The fabrication platform will account for construction site conditions, machine processing, human-machine interaction and the resulting safety considerations and interlink with the development of the cyber-physical construction system. The project will develop methods that enable the planning of continuous process interactions, comprehensive fabrication workflows, and the coordination between the geometric design of building parts (formulated in task descriptions) and their manufacturing conditions (formulated as feature descriptions).
Prof. Achim Menges
Institute for Computational Design and Construction (ICD), University of Stuttgart
Prof. Dr.-Ing. Alexander Verl
Institute for Control Engineering of Machine Tools and Manufacturing Units (ISW), University of Stuttgart
Prof. Dr. Daniel Weiskopf and Prof. Dr. Michael Sedlmair
Visualization Research Center (VISUS), University of Stuttgart
- Merino, L., Schwarzl, M., Kraus, M., Sedlmair, M., Schmalstieg, D., & Weiskopf, D. (2020). Evaluating Mixed and Augmented Reality: A Systematic Literature Review (2009 -- 2019). IEEE International Symposium on Mixed and Augmented Reality (ISMAR).
- Qi, Y., Zhong, R., Kaiser, B., Nguyen, L., Wagner, H. J., Verl, A., & Menges, A. (2020). Working with Uncertainties: An Adaptive Fabrication Workflow for Bamboo Structures. In P. F. Yuan, J. Yao, C. Yan, X. Wang, & N. Leach (Eds.), Proceedings of the 2020 DigitalFUTURES. Springer Nature Switzerland AG.
- Wagner, H. J., Chai, H., Guo, Z., Menges, A., & Yuan, P. F. (2020). Towards an On-site Fabrication System for Bespoke , Unlimited and Monolithic Timber Slabs. IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS) Las Vegas, NV, USA (Virtual) - Workshop on Construction and Architecture Robotics, 2020. https://doi.org/10.13140/RG.2.2.14098.68802
- Wagner, H. J., Alvarez, M., Groenewolt, A., & Menges, A. (2020). Towards digital automation flexibility in large-scale timber construction: integrative robotic prefabrication and co-design of the BUGA Wood Pavilion. Construction Robotics. https://doi.org/10.1007/s41693-020-00038-5
- Wagner, H. J., Alvarez, M., Kyjanek, O., Bhiri, Z., Buck, M., & Menges, A. (2020). Flexible and transportable robotic timber construction platform – TIM. Automation in Construction, 120, 1–17. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autcon.2020.103400
- Weiß, M., Angerbauer, K., Voit, A., Schwarzl, M., Sedlmair, M., & Mayer, S. (2020). Revisited: Comparison of Empirical Methods to Evaluate Visualizations Supporting Crafting and Assembly Purposes. IEEE Trans. Visualization and Computer Graphics (TVCG, Proc. InfoVis 2020).