AGENT-BASED METHODS FOR FABRICATION-ORIENTED DESIGN OF ADAPTIVE MODULAR PRECAST CONCRETE CONSTRUCTION
Highly efficient, load-adapted structures are characterized by a high degree of component differentiation. According to the principle "individuality on a large scale - similarity on a small scale", this variability is to be realized by adaptive basic modules under the conditions of serial production. The aim is to activate the potential of adaptive modular construction methods using flow-based manufacturing methods for the building industry with regards to speed, quality, and flexibility. Computational design methods are therefore necessary, which enable both adaptability of the component geometry as well as production-oriented planning and design.
The central research question concerns suitable design methods for the design of modularised concrete structures, taking into account multi-criteria aspects of segmentation, joining, production and assembly. The goal is the development of consistent digital models that meet the requirements of the design process and form the basis for digital fabrication. Furthermore, the focus is on the integration of requirement parameters into the design process from design phases that are considered during construction development phases through systematic feedback.
Prof. Achim Menges
Institute for Computational Design and Construction (ICD), University of Stuttgart
Tobias Schwinn (ICD)
David Stieler (ICD)
German Research Foundation, DFG Priority Program SPP 2187
- Forman, P., Stieler, D., Mark, P., & Menges, A. (2022). Adaptive Modulbauwesien mit Methoden der Fließfertigung. In V. T. Nguyen, M. Krüger, B. Freytag, & T. M. Laggner (Eds.), 5. Grazer Betonkolloquium (pp. 79–86). Verlag der TU Graz.
- Stieler, D., Schwinn, T., Leder, S., Maierhofer, M., Kannenberg, F., & Menges, A. (2022). Agent-based modeling and simulation in architecture. Automation in Construction, 141, 104426. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autcon.2022.104426
- Stieler, D., Schwinn, T., & Menges, A. (2022). Volumetric intersections: Modularization approaches for freeform prefab concrete construction. Civil Engineering Design, 4(1–3), Article 1–3. https://doi.org/10.1002/cend.202100047
- Stieler, D., Schwinn, T., & Menges, A. (2022). Additive formwork in precast construction - Agent-based Methods for Fabrication-aware Modularization of Concrete Building Elements. Post Carbon - Proceedings of the 26th International Conference on Computer-Aided Architectural Design Research in Asia, CAADRIA 2022. https://caadria2022.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/435-1.pdf
- Stieler, D., Schwinn, T., & Menges, A. (2022). Automatisierte Bauteilzerlegung für Betonfertigteile aus additiv hergestellten Schalungen. Beton- Und Stahlbetonbau, 117(5), Article 5. https://doi.org/10.1002/best.202200006
- Menges, A., Schwinn, T., & Stieler, D. (2020). Agentenbasierte Methoden für die fertigungsgerechte Planung adaptiver Modulbauweisen aus Betonfertigteilen. BetonWerk International Nr. 3, 2020, S. 26.