DEVELOPMENT OF AN INTEGRATED APPROACH OF TESTING AND NUMERICAL VERIFICATIONS
The development of an integrated approach for the design verification of new construction products and processes on the basis of experimental and numerical investigations (IATN) which respects or further develops the basic rules in Eurocodes in particular, but not exclusively, for timber construction is the aim of this research project.
There are major obstacles to the introduction of new products and processes in the building industry, because to be applied in practice they must either follow standards such as Eurocodes or have an individual approval. These procedures ensure that general safety requirements are met, but they may delay or even prevent a rapid introduction of innovative construction products and processes. In addition design codes such as Eurocodes are developed in a long tradition mainly in view of “hand-calculation” hence numerical methods like finite elements (FE) are not mentioned.
IATN allows for innovative building products and procedures to be used and at the same time ensures compliance with required safety levels and can make a significant contribution to the core topics of IntCDC, in order to utilize of the full potential of digital construction technologies including planning, design and construction with prefabrication and erection. The idea behind IATN is an integrated design approach, whereby extensive experimental investigations can be replaced by numerically simulated tests. Experimental tests are however needed for the validation of numerical models, which then allow within parameter investigations to produce “fictive test results” which can be dealt with as proposed in Eurocode 0 Annex D. Within the development of IATN a case study on slender soft- and hardwood columns and their connections will be conducted.
On the one hand the IATN can be transferred to various other materials and situations dealt with in other research projects, on the other hand the case study on slender timber columns with adequate joints contributes directly to the multi-storey timber buildings system, implemented in the demonstrator.
- Töpler, J., & Kuhlmann, U. (2022). Experimentelle und numerische Untersuchungen von Brettschichtholz aus Buchen-Furnierschichtholz (BauBuche). Doktorandenkolloquium Holzbau Forschung + Praxis, Online.
- Kuhlmann, U., & Gauß, J. (2021). Stiffness of Steel-Timber Dowel Connections – Experimental and Numerical Research. INTER 8th meeting, Online.
- Kuhlmann, U., & Töpler, J. (2021). Imperfections of slender glulam beams. INTER 8th meeting, Online.
- Kuhlmann, U., & Töpler, J. (2021). Analytical and numerical investigations on imperfection-sensitive timber members subjected to combined bending and axial compression. WCTE 2021, Online.
- Töpler, J., & Kuhlmann, U. (2020). FE-gestützte Bemessung im Holzbau. Doktorandenkolloquium Holzbau Forschung + Praxis, Stuttgart.