TRANSIENT FORM FINDING, MECHANICAL MODELLING AND ASSESSMENT OF SEGMENTED FIBRE COMPOSITE SHELLS
The structural design aspect of co-design for long-spanning fibre reinforced polymer (FRP) structures will be developed in this project. This spans from early assessment during architectural design to detailed structural models informed by physical testing. Based on information from simulation of the winding process a global structural model, including information about the construction sequence, will be developed using dimensional reduction and homogenisation.
Realtime feedback during the design process will be enabled by developing a hierarchic modelling and discretization scheme, directly integrating CAD into structural modelling within the framework of isogeometric analysis, along with efficient solution strategies. Alternative measures for structural assessment will be developed to facilitate an interactive feedback on relevant structural properties during design space exploration.
Prof. Dr.-Ing. Jan Knippers
Institute of Building Structures and Structural Design (ITKE), University of Stuttgart
Prof. Dr.-Ing. habil. Manfred Bischoff
Institute for Structural Mechanics (IBB), University of Stuttgart
- Gil Pérez, M., Zechmeister, C., Kannenberg, F., Mindermann, P., Balangé, L., Guo, Y., Hügle, S., Gienger, A., Forster, D., Bischoff, M., Tarín, C., Middendorf, P., Schwieger, V., Gresser, G. T., Menges, A., & Knippers, J. (2022). Computational co-design framework for coreless wound fibre-polymer composite structures. Journal of Computational Design and Engineering, 9(2), 310--329. https://doi.org/10.1093/jcde/qwab081
- Gil Pérez, M., Guo, Y., & Knippers, J. (2022). Integrative material and structural design methods for natural fibres filament-wound composite structures: The LivMatS pavilion. Materials & Design, 217, 110624. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2022.110624
- Guo, Y., Serhat, G., Gil Pérez, M., & Knippers, J. (2022). Maximizing buckling load of elliptical composite cylinders using lamination parameters. Engineering Structures, 262, 114342. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2022.114342
- Guo, Y., Gil Pérez, M., Serhat, G., & Knippers, J. (2022). A design methodology for fiber layup optimization of filament wound structural components. Structures, 38, 1125--1136. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.istruc.2022.02.048
- Oesterle, B., Geiger, F., Forster, D., Fröhlich, M., & Bischoff, M. (2022). A study on the approximation power of NURBS and the significance of exact geometry in isogeometric pre-buckling analyses of shells. Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 397(115144), Article 115144. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cma.2022.115144