Five DFG-funded research centers join forces to harness international research synergies and to foster the development of early career researchers.
The "Research Network for Advancing Architecture, Engineering and Construction" (AdvanceAEC) brings together international researchers who strive to advance architecture, engineering and construction through digital technologies and an interdisciplinary approach. It aims to address the multifaceted ecological, economic and socio-cultural challenges the built environment is facing. The research network provides a platform to exchange expertise, foster and build an international research community in the fields of architecture, civil engineering, mechanical engineering, computer science, robotics and social sciences.
With particular emphasis on the topics:
- Architecture, Engineering and Construction
- Interdisciplinary Research
- Co-Design and seamless Digital Technologies
- Resource efficient and future-proof construction
- Productivity and automation
Foundation and research network partners are five independently evaluated, publicly funded research networks:
- EXC 2120: Integrative Computational Design and Construction for Architecture (IntCDC), University of Stuttgart
Director: Prof. Dipl AA (Hons) Achim Menges
Deputy Director: Prof. Dr.-Ing. Jan Knippers
- SFB 1244: Adaptive skins and structures for the built environment of tomorrow, University of Stuttgart > Link
Director: o. Prof. Dr.-Ing. Dr.-Ing. E.h. Dr. h.c. Werner Sobek
Deputy Director: Prof. Dr.-Ing. habil. Dr. h.c. Oliver Sawodny
- SFB/TRR 277: Additive manufacturing in construction, TU Braunschweig/TU Munich > Link
Director: Prof. Dr.-Ing. Harald Kloft (TU Braunschweig)
Deputy Director: Prof. Dr.-Ing. Prof. h.c. Christoph Gehlen (TU Munich)
- SFB/TRR 280: Design strategies for material-minimized carbon structures. Foundations for a new way of building, TU Dresden/RWTH Aachen University > Link
Director: Prof. Dr.-Ing. Dr.-Ing. E.h. Manfred Curbach (TU Dresden)
Deputy Director: Prof. Dr.-Ing. Josef Hegger (RWTH Aachen University)
- SPP 2187: Adaptive Modular Construction with Flow Production Methods, Ruhr University Bochum/KIT > Link
Director: Prof. Dr.-Ing. habil. Peter Mark (Ruhr University Bochum)
Co-Coordinator: Prof. Dr.-Ing. Gisela Lanza (KIT)
The main objective of the network is to foster an intensive exchange on the level of the participating research centers and the individual researchers. The common website www.advanceaec.net serves as collaborative platform.
Joint activities such as colloquia, symposia and other events nurture the collaboration of the research centers. A vital role for networking is taken by the members’ data base which additionally facilitates direct exchange and scientific collaboration of the individual researchers.
All researchers working in the field of AdvanceAEC are warmly invited to join the network. We would be excited to have you participate in building our emerging community and to benefit from our related activities. Free of charge registration is possible on the webpage: Link to registration page.
The launch of the innovative research network AdvanceAEC will take place online on 16 November 2020 from 6:00 to 9:00 pm and is open to all registered members. Research associations will be presented by their respective Director. As special guest of honor Prof. Dr. Philippe Block of the Federal Institute of Technology Zurich, Director of the National Centre of Competence in Research (NCCR) Digital Fabrication, will lead the following discussion.
Information on future activities and events is available on the website advanceaec.net.