The University of Stuttgart invites applications for multiple positions of an
Independent Junior Research Group Leader (f/m/d)
| AS SOON AS POSSIBLE | TV-L E14 | FULL-TIME |
for the Cluster of Excellence "Integrative Computational Design and Construction for Architecture (IntCDC)" in Architecture, Structural Engineering, Building Physics, Geodesy, Mechanical Engineering, Systems Engineering, Computer Science, Robotics, Humanities or Social Sciences.
A Cluster of Excellence is the most significant and substantial grant funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG). For the first time, a Cluster of Excellence has been awarded to the field of architecture, bringing together a world-leading interdisciplinary team of researchers from seven faculties of the University of Stuttgart and the Max Planck Institute for Intelligent Systems.
To complement our research activities, we are seeking multiple highly motivated young scientists with an excellent PhD degree, an outstanding early-career track record and substantial international research experience in fields related to the aims of the cluster. We expect a successful candidate to propose a new research direction that complements our Cluster of Excellence and to pursue its creative and independent development in one of the following related research fields:
- Computational design, digital fabrication and/or robotic construction
- Building systems and/or building services
- Bio-based construction materials
- Digital building culture
Structural Engineering, Building Physics and Geodesy:
- Integrated and multi-functional simulation methods
- Sustainability assessment and circular economy
- Graded building materials and multi-functional building elements
- Construction site modelling and monitoring
Manufacturing and Systems Engineering:
- Cyber-physical construction systems
- Construction cybernetics
- Robotic systems for construction
Computer Science and Robotics:
- Human-computer interaction or human-robot interaction
- Augmented reality and mixed reality
- Visualization and visual analytics
- Machine learning, computer vision or robot perception
Humanities and Social Sciences:
- Innovation research in the building sector
- Computational design in society
- Timber buildings and the SDGs
- Digital design and/or robotic construction in the past and present
Each successful candidate will lead a new Research Group within the Cluster of Excellence IntCDC. The establishment of a competitive research program and the proactive collaboration with IntCDC partners at the University of Stuttgart and the Max Planck Institute for Intelligent Systems is expected.
To support the development, the Research Group will initially be funded for up to three years, including the Group Leader position (TV-L E14), funds for PhD projects (TV-L E13), as well as startup and annual budgets. The Research Group will be embedded into a related institute at the University of Stuttgart and benefit from its support structures and from IntCDC’s instrumentation and labs. As the Cluster’s language is English, German language skills are not required. The start date is as soon as possible, but can be adjusted to suit the availability of the successful candidates.
More information on the Cluster of Excellence IntCDC can be found here.
Please send your application in a single PDF file (up to 10 MB) to firstname.lastname@example.org including the following:
- Cover and motivation letter
- Academic CV
- List of publications
- Description of past research activities and research proposal for IntCDC (approximately three pages)
- Preferred start date
- Degree certificates and transcripts of records from Bachelor / Master / PhD degrees
Three reference letters should be submitted by the referees directly to email@example.com.
The closing date for applications is 1st of December, 2020.
Inquiries should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Information on how the University protects personal data in accordance with Article 13 of the GDPR can be found via the following link: https://www.uni-stuttgart.de/en/privacy-notice/jobapplication/ The University of Stuttgart is an equal opportunity employer. Applications from women are strongly encouraged. Severely challenged persons will be given preference in case of equal qualifications.